For immediate release, Dec. 12, 2018
Tim Marsano, ISP PIO, 208.884.7122 firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrea Wolf-Buck, Redmond, WA Police Department PIO, 425.440.1316 email@example.com
News release: ISP arrests drug trafficking suspect on I-90 in Shoshone County - two juveniles in the vehicle, one now in hospital with indications of severe child abuse
Yesterday, Dec. 11, 2018, Idaho State Police conducted a traffic stop for an observed infraction on I-90 eastbound near milepost 46 in Shoshone County.
During the traffic stop, the ISP trooper observed 4 people in the vehicle, a Dodge van with North Dakota plates. The four people included a male driver, identified as Jorge Gonzalez-Vergel, 59 (residence undetermined), a female passenger, 32, and two juveniles, ages 2 and 1.
- The trooper identified signs of physical trauma on the adult female's face and signs of multiple injuries on the 2-year old.
- Further investigation revealed methamphetamine, marijuana and paraphernalia in the vehicle.
- The 2-year-old juvenile was transported to Sacred Heart Pediatric Intensive Care Unit in Spokane, WA with life-threatening injuries, including brain injuries. The child has numerous visible marks and scars which are indications of severe child abuse; doctors tell ISP that the trooper who stopped the Dodge van and looked beyond the traffic stop should be credited with saving the child's life. The investigation into the physical abuse is being investigated by the Redmond, WA Police Department. At this point Jorge Gonzalez-Vergel is not a suspect in the child abuse case.
- The 1-year-old juvenile was transported to Shoshone Medical Center for evaluation and is now in the temporary custody of the State of Idaho.
- Gonzalez-Vergel was arrested and booked into the Shoshone County Jail on the following felony charges:
o Idaho Code 18-3316, Felon in possession of a firearm
o Idaho Code 37-2732B, Trafficking Methamphetamine