Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Impaired driving statement

IDAHO STATE POLICE NEWS RELEASE - generated by our News Release ListServer

Region 4 Patrol 218 West Yakima, Jerome, ID 83338-5904 (208) 324-6000
Fax (208) 324-7897
For further information, contact Capt. Robert Storm at (208) 324-6000 or (208) 736-3070

For Immediate Release: 12/01/2010 2:02 p.m.
Contact: Lt. Kevin Haight / Sgt. Dennis Pullin / Lt. Brent Hilliard
Idaho State Police Twin Falls Police Twin Falls County Sheriff
208-324-6000 208-735-7242 208-736-4035

Date: 12/01/2010


Twin Falls Police, Twin Falls County Sheriff, Idaho State Police partner to stop impaired driving

This time of year is a festive time for many, that brings families and friends together but can quickly turn into a nightmare when loved ones choose to drive impaired.

The Twin Falls Police and Twin Falls County Sheriff's Department is partnering with the Idaho State Police to make travel safer by performing high-visibility impaired driving enforcement patrols on December 10th, December 18th, and December 31st.

"The effort is part of local law enforcement's goal to have no traffic deaths or injuries on Idaho's roads," said Lt. Kevin Haight, with the Idaho State Police. "We want everyone to make it home safely after holiday celebrations."

During the patrols, officers will be watching for impaired drivers.

"If your Christmas and New Year's celebrations involve alcohol, avoid driving any vehicle when 'buzzed' or drunk," said Lt. Kevin Haight. "It's not worth the risk."

"Not only do you risk injuring or killing yourself or someone else, but the financial costs of an arrest or crash are significant," he explained.

A few simple precautions before celebrating can prevent a drunk-driving tragedy:
- Whenever you plan on consuming alcohol, designate a sober driver before going out and give that person your keys.
- If you're impaired, call a taxi, a sober friend or family member to get you home safely.
- Promptly report drunk drivers you see on roadways to law enforcement. To contact law enforcement, dial 911. You can also call the Idaho State Police at *ISP or 208-736-3070.
- If you know someone who is about to drive impaired, take his or her keys and help make other transportation arrangements.

"Your best and only defense against drunk drivers is to always wear a seat belt and remain attentive to your surroundings and other drivers," Lt. Haight said.